A picture is worth a thousand words. The Hudson Plane crash was first reported through Twitpic on Twitter by Janis Trums even before other major news and media channels weren’t even aware of the crash. That was the coming of age of the social media phenomenon: Twitter
However, Twitter’s 140 odd characters has sometimes proven to be a restraint on what much and how much is to be said. Thus it is not surprising that Twitter’s 140-character limit on “tweets” is being tweaked to include pictures and video. Although a number of third-party programs which access Twitter’s output via its database can already link directly to pictures and videos on other sites, the site itself has so far held back from allowing anything beyond text-only hyperlinks to appear in users’ streams.
Twitter now finds itself in the footsteps of the biggest social networks Facebook and MySpace, which have made themselves essential to their hundreds of millions of users by becoming a channel for multimedia content.
Twitter is aggressively adding features to itself to make it a more useful and media rich source of information and sharing.
1. The Twitter Logo has been Tweaked a little bit (with more features on the Tweetie Bird)
2. Twitter has also created a single streamlined timeline which features Mentions, Retweets, Searches and Lists (on the left of the screen).
3. The right of the screen includes trending topics, the follow and the unfollow lists and favourites etc.
4. Twitter has established partnerships with DailyBooth, DeviantART, Etsy, Flickr, Justin.TV, Kickstarter, Kiva, Photozou, Plixi, Twitgoo, TwitPic, TwitVid, USTREAM, Vimeo, yfrog, and YouTube to enable embedded photos, content and videos directly on Twitter.
5. When you click a Tweet, the details pane shows additional information related to the author or subject. Depending on the Tweet’s content, one may see related content such as @replies, other Tweets by that same user, a map of where a geotagged Tweet was sent from, and more.
6. One can Click a @username to see a mini profile without navigating from the page, which provides quick access to account information, including bio and recent Tweets.